We recently purchased a new-to-us slant load trailer with room for three horses. The stalls inside have dividers that swing to the side allowing horses to load to the front. These dividers are about waist high and completely open below. To prevent horses from kicking each other underneath these dividers, people generally install stall dividers, and these have the added benefit of keeping things from rolling under the horses feet if, for example, the front stall is used to store hay or a grain bin. What I found is that these dividers are usually homemade, but I didnt find much for plans on the internet and what I did find could use a lot of improvement. Here is how I went about making mine.
I first started with a piece of 3/4 inch rubber mat. This is available at most farm supply stores and is relatively inexpensive. The mat can easily be cut to size with a hand wood saw. I cut the mat to the height from the floor to the top of the bottom box tube the divider was constructed with.
Next I removed the vinyl upholstered pad on the front side of the divider and drilled four holes in that bottom section of box tubing equally spaced along the width of the divider. 5/16 inch lag bolts with large washers were inserted through the vinyl upholstered pad on the back side of the divider to the front.
The lag bolts thread into t-nuts on the other side. This required that I also drill holes in the mat too, but a standard drill bit works well enough.
The pad I removed on the front side had to be trimmed to account for the space the mat would take up. I pulled the staples off the bottom edge and cut about a 1 1/2 inch section off the width of the pad. Then I pulled the vinyl over and re-stapled it in place on the back side.
I riveted the pad back onto the divider in the same manner it was originally attached, but had to drill new holes in the bottom given the material I took off previously.
And here it is all together.
Other designs I found on the internet involved hanging the mat from the divider with chains and small clevises. This design here gives a much more solid attachment and puts less stress on the mat as it hangs. Now that a couple months have passed, there are no signs of adverse wear. It looks like it is going to last for the long haul.